|Healthcare Training Institute - Quality Education since 1979CE for Psychologist, Social Worker, Counselor, & MFT!!
Peer-Reviewed Journal Article References:
Assaad, J.-M., Pihl, R. O., Séguin, J. R., Nagin, D., Vitaro, F., Carbonneau, R., & Tremblay, R. E. (2003). Aggressiveness, family history of alcoholism, and the heart rate response to alcohol intoxication. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology, 11(2), 158–166.
Bernecker, K., & Job, V. (2017). Implicit theories about willpower in resisting temptations and emotion control. Zeitschrift für Psychologie, 225(2), 157–166.
Bijttebier, P., & Goethals, E. (2006). Parental drinking as a risk factor for children's maladjustment: The mediating role of family environment. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 20(2), 126–130.
Church, S., Bhatia, U., Velleman, R., Velleman, G., Orford, J., Rane, A., & Nadkarni, A. (2018). Coping strategies and support structures of addiction affected families: A qualitative study from Goa, India. Families, Systems, & Health, 36(2), 216–224.
Cleveland, M. J., Feinberg, M. E., & Jones, D. E. (2012). Predicting alcohol use across adolescence: Relative strength of individual, family, peer, and contextual risk and protective factors. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 26(4), 703–713.
“Cognitive, emotion control, and motor performance of adolescents in the NCANDA study: Contributions from alcohol consumption, age, sex, ethnicity, and family history of addiction”: Correction to Sullivan et al. (2016) (2016). Neuropsychology, 30(7), 829.
Cordova, D., Huang, S., Pantin, H., & Prado, G. (2012). Do the effects of a family intervention on alcohol and drug use vary by nativity status? Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 26(3), 655–660.
Corrigan, P. W., Watson, A. C., & Miller, F. E. (2006). Blame, shame, and contamination: The impact of mental illness and drug dependence stigma on family members. Journal of Family Psychology, 20(2), 239–246.
Duncan, T. E., Duncan, S. C., & Hops, H. (1996). The role of parents and older siblings in predicting adolescent substance use: Modeling development via structural equation latent growth methodology. Journal of Family Psychology, 10(2), 158–172.
Gorman-Smith, D., Tolan, P. H., Henry, D. B., Leventhal, A., Schoeny, M., Lutovsky, K., & Quintana, E. (2002). Predictors of participation in a family-focused preventive intervention for substance use. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 16(4, Suppl), S55–S64.
Gregg, L., Haddock, G., Emsley, R., & Barrowclough, C. (2014). Reasons for substance use and their relationship to subclinical psychotic and affective symptoms, coping, and substance use in a nonclinical sample. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 28(1), 247–256.
Griffin, K. W., Botvin, G. J., Scheier, L. M., Diaz, T., & Miller, N. L. (2000). Parenting practices as predictors of substance use, delinquency, and aggression among urban minority youth: Moderating effects of family structure and gender. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 14(2), 174–184.
Guyll, M., Spoth, R. L., Chao, W., Wickrama, K. A. S., & Russell, D. (2004). Family-Focused Preventive Interventions: Evaluating Parental Risk Moderation of Substance Use Trajectories. Journal of Family Psychology, 18(2), 293–301.
Hogue, A., & Liddle, H. A. (1999). Family-based preventive intervention: An approach to preventing substance use and antisocial behavior. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 69(3), 278–293.
Jarmas, A. L., & Kazak, A. E. (1992). Young adult children of alcoholic fathers: Depressive experiences, coping styles, and family systems. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 60(2), 244–251.
Kok, T., de Haan, H., Wieske, E., de Weert, G., & de Jong, C. (2017). Screening for personality disorders in outpatient substance use disorder patients. European Journal of Psychological Assessment, 33(3), 166–172.
Leadbeater, B. J., Hellner, I., Allen, J. P., & Aber, J. L. (1989). Assessment of interpersonal negotiation strategies in youth engaged in problem behaviors. Developmental Psychology, 25(3), 465–472.
Li, L., Hien, N. T., Lin, C., Tuan, N. A., Tuan, L. A., Farmer, S. C., & Detels, R. (2014). An intervention to improve mental health and family well-being of injecting drug users and family members in Vietnam. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 28(2), 607–613.
Montag, C., Flierl, M., Markett, S., Walter, N., Jurkiewicz, M., & Reuter, M. (2011). Internet addiction and personality in first-person-shooter video gamers. Journal of Media Psychology: Theories, Methods, and Applications, 23(4), 163–173.
Otten, R., Harakeh, Z., Vermulst, A. A., Van den Eijnden, R. J. J. M., & Engels, R. C. M. E. (2007). Frequency and quality of parental communication as antecedents of adolescent smoking cognitions and smoking onset. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 21(1), 1–12.
Rehbein, F., & Baier, D. (2013). Family-, media-, and school-related risk factors of video game addiction: A 5-year longitudinal study. Journal of Media Psychology: Theories, Methods, and Applications, 25(3), 118–128.
Rotunda, R. J., Scherer, D. G., & Imm, P. S. (1995). Family systems and alcohol misuse: Research on the effects of alcoholism on family functioning and effective family interventions. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 26(1), 95–104.
Ruiz, M. A., Cox, J., Magyar, M. S., & Edens, J. F. (2014). Predictive validity of the Personality Assessment Inventory (PAI) for identifying criminal reoffending following completion of an in-jail addiction treatment program. Psychological Assessment, 26(2), 673–678.
Rusby, J. C., Light, J. M., Crowley, R., & Westling, E. (2018). Influence of parent–youth relationship, parental monitoring, and parent substance use on adolescent substance use onset. Journal of Family Psychology, 32(3), 310–320.
Samek, D. R., Rueter, M. A., Keyes, M. A., McGue, M., & Iacono, W. G. (2015). Parent involvement, sibling companionship, and adolescent substance use: A longitudinal, genetically informed design. Journal of Family Psychology, 29(4), 614–623.
Sorenson, J. L. (1989). Family approaches to the problems of addictions: Recent developments. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 3(3), 134–139.
Spoth, R., Reyes, M. L., Redmond, C., & Shin, C. (1999). Assessing a public health approach to delay onset and progression of adolescent substance use: Latent transition and log-linear analyses of longitudinal family preventive intervention outcomes. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 67(5), 619–630.
Sprunger, J. G., Hales, A., Maloney, M., Williams, K., & Eckhardt, C. I. (2020). Alcohol, affect, and aggression: An investigation of alcohol’s effects following ostracism. Psychology of Violence. Advance online publication.
Wills, T. A., Gibbons, F. X., Gerrard, M., Murry, V. M., & Brody, G. H. (2003). Family Communication and Religiosity Related to Substance Use and Sexual Behavior in Early Adolescence: A Test for Pathways Through Self-Control and Prototype Perceptions. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 17(4), 312–323.
- Angres, Daniel; Bologeorges, Stephanie; Chou, Jessica. A Two Year Longitudinal Outcome Study of Addicted Health Care Professionals: An Investigation of the Role of Personality Variables. Substance Abuse: Research & Treatment. 2013, Issue 7, p49-60.
- A Survival Guide to Parenting Teens: Talking to Your Kids About Sexting, Drinking, Drugs, and Other Things That Freak You Out. Publishers Weekly. 4/21/2014, Vol. 261 Issue 16, p73-73.
- Baki, Roselan; Eow Yee Leng; Wan Zah Wan Ali; Rasnaini Mohmud; and Mohd. Sahandri Gani Hamzah. The Perspective of Six Malaysian Students on Playing Video Games: Beneficial or Detrimental? US-China Education Review, Nov. 2008, Vol 5, p 11-21.
- Barber, James G. and Robyn Gilbertson; "Unilateral Interventions for Women Living with Heavy Drinkers"; Social Work; Jan97, Vol. 42 Issue 1; p69-78.
- Beattie, Melody; Codependent No More; Hazelden: Minnesota; 1992
- Beattie, Melody; Beyond Codependency and Getting Better All the Time; Hazelden: Minnesota; 1989
- Becker, Sara J. Adolescent substance abuse: National trends, consequences, and promising treatments. Brown University Child & Adolescent Behavior Letter. May2013, Vol. 29 Issue 5, p1-7. 3p.
- Copello, Alex et al; "Methods for reducing alcohol and drug related family harm in non-specialist settings"; Journal of Mental Health; Jun2000, Vol. 9 Issue 3; p329-343
- Fals-Stewart, William; Lam, Wendy (K.K.); Kelley, Michelle L; Learning sobriety together: behavioural couples therapy for alcoholism and drug abuse; Journal of Family Therapy, May 2009, Vol 31 Issue 2, p115
- Gifford, Elizabeth V.; Tavakoli, Sara; Wang, Ruey; Hagedorn, Hildi J.; Hamlett-Berry, Kim W. Tobacco dependence diagnosis and treatment in Veterans Health Administration residential substance use disorder treatment programs. Addiction. Jun2013, Vol. 108 Issue 6, p1127-1135.
- Halford, W. Kim et al; "Helping The Female Partners Of Men Abusing Alcohol: A Comparison Of Three Treatments"; Addiction; October 2001; Vol.96 Issue 10; p1497-1508.
- Hall, Lindsey and Leigh Cohn; Self-Esteem: Tools for Recovery; Gűrze Books: California; 1990
- Hayes, Eric J.: Playing it Safe: Avoiding Online Gaming Risk. US-CERT, 2008, p 1-8.B464.
- Hoder, Randye. Give Parents a Break: Making the Case for Supervised Teen Drinking Time.com. 10/25/2013, p1-1.
- Hogan, Diane M, "Parenting Beliefs and Practices of Opiate-Addicted Parents: Concealment and Taboo"; European Addiction Research, 2003 Vol, 9 Issue 3, p113-119
- Hohman, Melinda M. and Rick L. Butt; "How Soon Is Too Soon? Addiction Recovery And Family Reunification"; Child Welfare; Jan/Feb2001, Vol. 80 Issue 1, p53
- How to Spot Drug and Alcohol Use in Teens: Guide for Parents. Brown University Child & Adolescent Behavior Letter. May2013 Supplement, Vol. 29, p1-2.
- Ives, Eugenia A. iGeneration: The Social Cognitive Effects of Digital Technology on Teenagers. School of Education and Counseling Pyschology, Dominican University of California, October 2012, p.1-107.
- Jay, Debra; No More Letting Go; Bantam Books: New York; 2006
- Johnson, David, Reaching Out: Interpersonal Effectiveness and Self-Actualization; Prentice-Hall, Inc: New Jersey 1972
- Lease, Suzanne H.; "A Model of Depression in Adult Children of Alcoholics and Nonalcoholics"; Journal of Counseling & Development; Fall 2002, Vol. 80 Issue 4, p441
- McKeganey, Neil, Maria Barnard, and James McIntosh; "Paying The Price For Their Parent’s Addiction: Meeting The Needs Of The Children Of Drug-Using Parents", Drugs: Education, Prevention, & Policy; Aug 2002 Vol 9 Issue 3, p233-246
- Mueser, Kim T.; Glynn, Shirley M.; Cather, Corinne; Zarate, Roberto; Fox, Lindy; Feldman, James; Wolfe, Rosemarie; Clark, Robin E.; Family intervention for co-occurring substance use and severe psychiatric disorders: Participant characteristics and correlates of initial engagement and more extended exposure in a randomized controlled trial; Addictive Behaviors, October 2009, Vol 34 Issue 10, p867
- Newhouse, Eric; Alcohol: Cradle to Grave; Hazelden: Minnesota; 2001
- Nutt, David. Addiction: lifestyle choice or medical diagnosis? Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice. Jun2013, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p493-496.
- Reingle Gonzalez, Jennifer M.; Connell, Nadine M.; Businelle, Michael S.; Jennings, Wesley G.; Chartier, Karen G. Characteristics of adults involved in alcohol-related intimate partner violence: results from a nationally representative sample. BMC Public Health. 2014, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p193-206.
- Richardson, Cheryl; Stand Up for Your Life; The Free Press: New York; 2002.
- Roberts, James A.; Luc Honore Petnji Yaya; and Chris Manolis. The Invisible Addiction: Cell-phone Activities and Addiction among Male and Female College Students, Journal of Behavioral Addiction, August 2014, p. 254-265.
- Russo, Francine. Is Your Teen a Night Owl? That Could Explain His Poor Grades. Time.com. 11/15/2013, p1-1.
- Smith, Julianne. Got Teens? The Doctor Moms' Guide to Sexuality, Social Media and Other Adolescent Realities. Library Journal. 5/15/2014, Vol. 139 Issue 9, p61-61.
- Szapocznik, José, Ph.D.;Olga Hervis, M.S.W., L.C.S.W.;Seth Schwartz, Ph.D., Therapy Manuals for Drug Addiction, National Institutes of Health, August 2003, p1-68.
- Tighe M.S., Allen A; Stop the Chaos: How to Get Control of Your Life by Beating Alcohol & Drugs; Hazelden: Minnesota; 1999
- Thompson, Sanna J.; Bender, Kimberly; Windsor, Liliane C.; Flynn, Patrick M; Keeping Families Engaged: The Effects of Home-Based Family Therapy Enhanced with Experiential Activities; Social Work Research, June 2009, Vol 33 Issue 2, p121
- Werner, Mark J., Alain Joffe, and Antonette V. Graham; "Screening, Early Identification, and Office-based Intervention with Children and Youth Living in Substance-abusing Families"; Pediatrics; May99 Vol. 103 Issue5, p1099.