Peer-Reviewed Journal Article References:
Abramson, L., Petranker, R., Marom, I., & Aviezer, H. (2020). Social interaction context shapes emotion recognition through body language, not facial expressions.Emotion. Advance online publication.
Bryant, R. A., Moulds, M. L., Guthrie, R. M., & Nixon, R. D. V. (2005). The Additive Benefit of Hypnosis and Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy in Treating Acute Stress Disorder.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 73(2), 334–340.
Dichter, M. E., Thomas, K. A., Crits-Christoph, P., Ogden, S. N., & Rhodes, K. V. (2018). Coercive control in intimate partner violence: Relationship with women’s experience of violence, use of violence, and danger.Psychology of Violence, 8(5), 596–604.
Gerber, M. M., González, R., Carvacho, H., Jiménez-Moya, G., Moya, C., & Jackson, J. (2018). On the justification of intergroup violence: The roles of procedural justice, police legitimacy, and group identity in attitudes toward violence among indigenous people.Psychology of Violence, 8(3), 379–389.
Gerbrandij, J., Rosenfeld, B., Nijdam-Jones, A., & Galietta, M. (2018). Evaluating risk assessment instruments for intimate partner stalking and intimate partner violence.Journal of Threat Assessment and Management, 5(2), 103–118.
Gonzales, K. L., Noonan, C., Goins, R. T., Henderson, W. G., Beals, J., Manson, S. M., Acton, K. J., & Roubideaux, Y. (2016). Assessing the Everyday Discrimination Scale among American Indians and Alaska Natives.Psychological Assessment, 28(1), 51–58.
Gonzalez, V. M., Burroughs, A., & Skewes, M. C. (2020). Belief in the American Indian/Alaska Native biological vulnerability myth and drinking to cope: Does stereotype threat play a role?Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology. Advance online publication.
Halmos, M. B., Parrott, D. J., Henrich, C. C., & Eckhardt, C. I. (2020). The structure of aggression in conflict-prone couples: Validation of a measure of the Forms and Functions of Intimate Partner Aggression (FFIPA).Psychological Assessment, 32(5), 461–472.
Hammett, J. F., Karney, B. R., & Bradbury, T. N. (2020). When does verbal aggression in relationships covary with physical violence?Psychology of Violence. Advance online publication.
Hart, S. D. (2016). Culture and violence risk assessment: The case of Ewert v. Canada.Journal of Threat Assessment and Management, 3(2), 76–96.
Johnson, W. L., Taylor, B. G., Mumford, E. A., & Liu, W. (2020). Dyadic correlates of the perpetration of psychological aggression among intimate partners.Psychology of Violence, 10(4), 422–431.
Kim, E., & Kim, C. (2013). Comparative effects of empathic verbal responses: Reflection versus validation.Journal of Counseling Psychology, 60(3), 439–444.
Kraus, M. W. (2017). Voice-only communication enhances empathic accuracy.American Psychologist, 72(7), 644–654.
Kuin, N. C., Masthoff, E. D. M., Nunnink, V. N., Munafò, M. R., & Penton-Voak, I. S. (2020). Changing perception: A randomized controlled trial of emotion recognition training to reduce anger and aggression in violent offenders.Psychology of Violence, 10(4), 400–410.
Lardon, C., Wolsko, C., Trickett, E., Henry, D., & Hopkins, S. (2016). Assessing health in an Alaska native cultural context: The Yup’ik Wellness Survey.Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 22(1), 126–136.
Lehavot, K., Walters, K. L., & Simoni, J. M. (2010). Abuse, mastery, and health among lesbian, bisexual, and two-spirit American Indian and Alaska Native women.Psychology of Violence, 1(S), 53–67.
Logan, G. D. (2017). Taking control of cognition: An instance perspective on acts of control.American Psychologist, 72(9), 875–884.
Massa, A. A., Eckhardt, C. I., Sprunger, J. G., Parrott, D. J., & Subramani, O. S. (2019). Trauma cognitions and partner aggression: Anger, hostility, and rumination as intervening mechanisms.Psychology of Violence, 9(4), 392–399.
Moore, L. A., Aarons, G. A., Davis, J. H., & Novins, D. K. (2015). How do providers serving American Indians and Alaska Natives with substance abuse problems define evidence-based treatment?Psychological Services, 12(2), 92–100.
Olver, M. E., Kingston, D. A., & Sowden, J. N. (2020). An examination of latent constructs of dynamic sexual violence risk and need as a function of indigenous and nonindigenous ancestry.Psychological Services. Advance online publication.
Querstret, D., Morison, L., Dickinson, S., Cropley, M., & John, M. (2020). Mindfulness-based stress reduction and mindfulness-based cognitive therapy for psychological health and well-being in nonclinical samples: A systematic review and meta-analysis.International Journal of Stress Management. Advance online publication.
Rasmus, S. M., Trickett, E., Charles, B., John, S., & Allen, J. (2019). The qasgiq model as an indigenous intervention: Using the cultural logic of contexts to build protective factors for Alaska Native suicide and alcohol misuse prevention.Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 25(1), 44–54.
Tummala-Narra, P., Gordon, J., Gonzalez, L. D., de Mello Barreto, L., Meerkins, T., Nguyen, M. N., Medzhitova, J., & Perazzo, P. (2019). Breaking the silence: Perspectives on sexual violence among Indian American women.Asian American Journal of Psychology, 10(4), 293–306.
Walling, S. M., Suvak, M. K., Howard, J. M., Taft, C. T., & Murphy, C. M. (2012). Race/ethnicity as a predictor of change in working alliance during cognitive behavioral therapy for intimate partner violence perpetrators.Psychotherapy, 49(2), 180–189.
Wright, M. F. (2017). Intimate partner aggression and adult attachment insecurity: The mediation of jealousy and anger.Evolutionary Behavioral Sciences, 11(2), 187–198.
Yuan, N. P., Belcourt-Dittloff, A., Schultz, K., Packard, G., & Duran, B. M. (2015). Research agenda for violence against American Indian and Alaska Native women: Toward the development of strength-based and resilience interventions.Psychology of Violence, 5(4), 367–373.
U.S. Department of Justice
Office of Justice Programs National Institute of Justice
If you wish to increase the text size of this publication, maximize your window.
Click outside the box below, press Ctrl “+” several times, then scroll.
Questions? Email: [email protected]
- Abramson, M. Reflections on Knowing Oneself Ethically: Toward a Working Framework for Social Work Practice. Families in Society. 1996a. 77(4). pg. 195-202.
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy. (2015, January 1). Code of Ethics. Retrieved from http://www.aamft.org/iMIS15/AAMFT/Content/Legal_Ethics/Code_of_Ethics.aspx
- American Counseling Association. (2014). ACA Code of Ethics. Retrieved from http://www.counseling.org/docs/ethics/2014-aca-code-of-ethics.pdf?sfvrsn=4
- American Psychological Association (APA). (2017, January 1). Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct. Retrieved from http://www.apa.org/ethics/code
- Barker, R. L. (1998). Milestones in the Development of Social Work and Social Welfare. Washington, DC: NASW Press. Rankin, Mary, JD employed by the Healthcare Training Institute to research and write the article Evolution of Social Work Ethics. Edited by Tracy Appleton, LCSW. The reference Barker, Robert L. Milestones in the Development of Social Work and Social Welfare. Washington, DC NASW Press, 1998.
- Bemecker, Samantha L. Helping Clients Help Themselves: Managing Ethical Concerns When Offering Guided Self-Help Interventions in Psychotherapy Practice. Professional Psychology: Research & Practice. April 2014. Vol. 45, Issue 2. pg. 111-119.
- Burton, Stephen, Furr, Susan. Conflict in Multicultural Classes: Approaches to Resolving Difficult Dialogues. Counselor Education & Supervision. June 2014. Vol. 53, Issue 2. pg. 97-110.
- Chao, Ruth Chu-Lien. Race/Ethnicity and Multicultural Competence Among School Counselors: Multicultural Training, Racial/Ethnic Identity, and Color-Blind Racial Attitudes. Journal of Counseling & Development. April 2013. Vol. 91, Issue 2. pg. 140-151.
- Cottone, Rocco, & Ronald Claus. Ethical Decision-Making Models: A Review of the Literature. Journal of Counseling & Development. Summer 2000. Vol. 78, Issue 3.
- Durant, Alan. and Ifan Shepherd. 'Culture' and 'Communication' in Intercultural Communication. European Journal of English Studies. 2009-08. Vol. 13, Issue 2.
- Haigh, Martin. Fostering Cross-Cultural Empathy With Non-Western Curricular Structures. Journal of Studies in International Education. 2009-06. Vol. 13, Issue 2.
- Hall, E.T. Beyond Culture. New York. Anchor Press/Doubleday. 1976.
- Hanna, Fred J., Cardona, Betty. Multicultural Counseling Beyond the Relationship: Expanding the Repertoire With Techniques. Journal of Counseling & Development. July 2013. Vol. 91, Issue 3. pg. 349-357.
- Harley, Debra et al. Race, Class, and Gender: A Constellation of Positionalities with Implications for Counseling. Journal of Multicultural Counseling & Development. October 2002. Vol. 30.
- Henderson, Kathryn L. Mandated Reporting of Child Abuse: Considerations and Guidelines for Mental Health Counselors. Journal of Mental Health Counseling. October 2013. Vol. 35, Issue 4. pg. 296-309.
- Johnson, Jennifer M., Lambie, Glenn W. Ethnic Identity and Social-Cognitive Maturity in a Multicultural Group Experience. Counselor Education & Supervision. September 2013. Vol. 52, Issue 3. pg. 193-206.
- Kagnici, Dilek Yelda. Reflections of a Multicultural Counseling Course: A Qualitative Study with Counseling Students and Counselors. Educational Sciences: Theory & Practice. 2014. Vol. 14, Issue 1., pg. 53-62.
- Kangas, Julie L., Calvert, James D. Ethical Issues in Mental Health Background Checks for Firearm Ownership. Professional Psychology: Research & Practice. February 2014. Vol. 45, Issue 1. pg. 76-83.
- Kerl, Stella B. Using Narrative Approaches to Teach Multicultural Counseling. Journal of Multicultural Counseling & Development. April 2002. Vol. 30.
- Kocet, Michael M. Ethical Challenges in a Complex World: Highlights of the 2005 ACA Code of Ethics. Journal of Counseling & Development. Spring 2006. Vol. 84, Issue 2.
- Loewenberg, F. M., Dolgoff, R. & Harrington, D. Ethical Decisions for Social Work Practice. Itasca, Illinois. F.E. Peacock. 2000
- Moe, Cathrine. Kvig, Erling I. Brinchmann, Beate. Brinchmann, Berit S. 'Working Behind the Scenes’: An Ethical View of Mental Health Nursing and First-Episode Psychosis. Nursing Ethics. August 2013. Vol. 20, Issue 5. pg. 517-527.
- National Association of Social Workers. (2017). NASW Code of Ethics. Retrieved from https://www.socialworkers.org/About/Ethics/Code-of-Ethics/Code-of-Ethics-English
- National Board for Certified Counselors, Inc. and Affiliates. (2016, October 7). NBCC Code of Ethics. Retrieved from https://www.nbcc.org/Assets/Ethics/NBCCCodeofEthics.pdf
- Pwono, Damien M. Fostering a Cultural Diplomacy Policy Dialogue: The Quest for Stewardship and Cooperative Engagement. Journal of Arts Management Law & Society. 2010-01. Vol. 39, Issue 4.
- Reamer, F. G. The Social Work Ethics Audit: A Risk-Management Strategy. Social Work. 2000. 45(4), pg. 355-366.
- Reamer, Frederic G. Social Work Ethics Casebook: Cases and Commentary. Washington, DC. NASW Press. 2009.
- Reamer, Frederic G. Social Work Malpractice and Liability: Strategies for Prevention. 2nd ed. (New York: Columbia University Press, 2003)
- Reamer, Frederic G. Social Work Values and Ethics. 3rd ed. (New York: Columbia University Press, 2006)
- Reamer, Frederic G. Ethical Standards in Social Work: A Review of the NASW Code of Ethics. 2nd ed. (Washington, DC: NASW Press, 2006)
- Reamer, Frederic G. The Social Work Ethics Audit: A Risk-management Tool. (Washington, DC: NASW Press, 2001)
- Reamer, Frederic G. Tangled Relationships: Managing Boundaries in the Human Services. (New York: Columbia University Press, 2001)
- Reamer, Frederic G. Ethics Education in Social Work. (Alexandria, VA: Council on Social Work Education, 2001)
- Rosay Ph.D., Andre B. Violence Against American Indian and Alaska Native Women and Men - 2010 Findings From the National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey. National Institute of Justice Research Report. May 2016. pg. 51-52.
- Rothstein, Mark A. Tarasoff Duties after Newtown. Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics. Spring 2014. Vol. 42, Issue 1. pg. 104-109.
- Sciarra, Daniel T. Multiculturalism in Counseling. F.E. Peacock Publishers, Inc. Itasca. 1999.
- Segal, Bernard Ph.D. Drinking and Drinking-Related Problems among Alaska Natives. Alcohol Health and Research World. Vol. 22, No. 4. 1998. pg. 276-280.
- Simpkins, G., Williams, R.L., & Gunnings, T. What a Culture a Difference Makes: A Rejoinder of Valentine. Harvard Educational Review. 1971. 41, 4. pg. 525-541.
- Sue, Derald Wing. Counseling the Culturally Different: Theory and Practice. John Wiley & Sons. New York. 1981.
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Alaska Region. (2012). Visiting and Listening Meaningful Participation for Alaska Native Peoples in Conservation Projects. U.S. Department of the Interior.