|Healthcare Training Institute - Quality Education since 1979CE for Psychologist, Social Worker, Counselor, & MFT!!
Peer-Reviewed Journal Article References:
Bijttebier, P., & Goethals, E. (2006). Parental drinking as a risk factor for children's maladjustment: The mediating role of family environment. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 20(2), 126–130.
Brody, G. H., Chen, Y.-f., Beach, S. R. H., Kogan, S. M., Yu, T., DiClemente, R. J., Wingood, G. M., Windle, M., & Philibert, R. A. (2014). Differential sensitivity to prevention programming: A dopaminergic polymorphism-enhanced prevention effect on protective parenting and adolescent substance use. Health Psychology, 33(2), 182–191.
Cleveland, M. J., Feinberg, M. E., & Jones, D. E. (2012). Predicting alcohol use across adolescence: Relative strength of individual, family, peer, and contextual risk and protective factors. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 26(4), 703–713.
Cordova, D., Huang, S., Pantin, H., & Prado, G. (2012). Do the effects of a family intervention on alcohol and drug use vary by nativity status? Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 26(3), 655–660.
Crane, C. A., Testa, M., Schlauch, R. C., & Leonard, K. E. (2016). The couple that smokes together: Dyadic marijuana use and relationship functioning during conflict. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 30(6), 686–693.
Cranford, J. A., Floyd, F. J., Schulenberg, J. E., & Zucker, R. A. (2011). Husbands' and wives' alcohol use disorders and marital interactions as longitudinal predictors of marital adjustment. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 120(1), 210–222.
El-Sheikh, M. (2001). Parental drinking problems and children's adjustment: Vagal regulation and emotional reactivity as pathways and moderators of risk. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 110(4), 499–515.
El-Sheikh, M., & Buckhalt, J. A. (2003). Parental Problem Drinking and Children's Adjustment: Attachment and Family Functioning as Moderators and Mediators of Risk. Journal of Family Psychology, 17(4), 510–520.
Gifford, E. J., Sloan, F. A., Eldred, L. M., & Evans, K. E. (2015). Intergenerational effects of parental substance-related convictions and adult drug treatment court participation on children’s school performance. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 85(5), 452–468.
Hodgins, D. C., Kim, H. S., & Stea, J. N. (2017). Increase and decrease of other substance use during recovery from cannabis use disorders. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 31(6), 727–734.
Hunter, S. B., Witkiewitz, K., Watkins, K. E., Paddock, S. M., & Hepner, K. A. (2012). The moderating effects of group cognitive–behavioral therapy for depression among substance users. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 26(4), 906–916.
Jarmas, A. L., & Kazak, A. E. (1992). Young adult children of alcoholic fathers: Depressive experiences, coping styles, and family systems. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 60(2), 244–251.
Papp, L. M. (2010). Prescription drug misuse among dating partners: Within-couple associations and implications for intimate relationship quality. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 24(3), 415–423.
Richter, L., & Richter, D. M. (2001). Exposure to parental tobacco and alcohol use: Effects on children's health and development. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 71(2), 182–203.
Robbins, M. S., Feaster, D. J., Horigian, V. E., Rohrbaugh, M., Shoham, V., Bachrach, K., Miller, M., Burlew, K. A., Hodgkins, C., Carrion, I., Vandermark, N., Schindler, E., Werstlein, R., & Szapocznik, J. (2011). Brief strategic family therapy versus treatment as usual: Results of a multisite randomized trial for substance using adolescents. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 79(6), 713–727.
Solomon, D. T., Nietert, P. J., Calhoun, C., Smith, D. W., Back, S. E., Barden, E., Brady, K. T., & Flanagan, J. C. (2018). Effects of oxytocin on emotional and physiological responses to conflict in couples with substance misuse. Couple and Family Psychology: Research and Practice, 7(2), 91–102.
Spoth, R., Trudeau, L., Guyll, M., Shin, C., & Redmond, C. (2009). Universal intervention effects on substance use among young adults mediated by delayed adolescent substance initiation. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 77(4), 620–632.
Walther, C. A. P., Cheong, J., Molina, B. S. G., Pelham, W. E., Jr., Wymbs, B. T., Belendiuk, K. A., & Pedersen, S. L. (2012). Substance use and delinquency among adolescents with childhood ADHD: The protective role of parenting. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 26(3), 585–598.
- Acheson, A., Vincent, A. S., Cohoon, A., & Lovallo, W. R. (Apr 2019). Early life adversity and increased delay discounting: Findings from the Family Health Patterns project. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology, 27(2), 153-159.
-Angres, Daniel; Bologeorges, Stephanie; Chou, J. (2013). A Two Year Longitudinal Outcome Study of Addicted Health Care Professionals: An Investigation of the Role of Personality Variables. Substance Abuse: Research & Treatment, (7), 49-60.
- "A Survival Guide to Parenting Teens: Talking to Your Kids About Sexting, Drinking, Drugs, and Other Things That Freak You Out." (4/21/2014). Publishers Weekly, 261(6), 73.
- Bailey, A. J., Gerst, K., & Finn, P. R. (Feb 2020). Intelligence moderates the relationship between delay discounting rate and problematic alcohol use. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 34(1), 175-181.
- Beattie, M. (1992). Codependent No More. Hazelden: Minnesota.
- Beattie, M. (1989). Beyond Codependency: And Getting Better All the Time. Hazelden: Minnesota.
-Becker, S. J. (May 2013). Adolescent Substance Abuse: National Trends, Consequences, and Promising Treatments. Brown University Child & Adolescent Behavior Letter, 29(5), 1-7.
- Braddock, C. J., (1997). Body Voices. PageMill Press: California.
- Byrnes, H. F., Miller, B. A., Grube, J. W., Bourdeau, B., Buller, D. B., Wang-Schweig, M., & Woodall, W. G. (Feb 2019). Prevention of alcohol use in older teens: A randomized trial of an online family prevention program. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 33(1), 1-14.
- Catalano, R., Gainey, R., Fleming, C., Haggerty, K., & Johnson, N. (Feb 1999). An Experimental Intervention with Families of Substance Abusers: One-Year Follow-up of the Focus on Families Project. Addiction, 94(2).
- Charlesworth, E. A., PhD., & Nathan, R. G., PhD. (2004). Stress Management: A Comprehensive Guide to Wellness. Ballantine Books: New York.
- DeLay, D., Laursen, B., Bukowski, W. M., Kerr, M., & Stattin, H. (Jan 2016). Adolescent friend similarity on alcohol abuse as a function of participation in romantic relationships: Sometimes a new love comes between old friends. Developmental Psychology, 52(1), 117-129.
- Dore, M., Nelson-Zlupko, L., & Kaufmann, E. (Mar 1999). ‘Friends in Need’: Designing and Implementing a Psychoeducational Group for School Children from Drug-Involved Families. Social Work, 44(2).
- Fals-Stewart, W., Lam, W. (K.K.)., & Kelley, M. L. (May 2009). Learning Sobriety Together: Behavioural Couples Therapy for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse. Journal of Family Therapy, 31(2), 115.
-Gifford, E. V., Tavakoli, S., Wang, R., Hagedorn, H. J., Hamlett-Berry, K. W. (Jun 2013). Tobacco Dependence Diagnosis and Treatment in Veterans Health Administration Residential Substance Use Disorder Treatment Programs. Addiction, 108(6), 1127-1135. DOI: 10.1111/add.12105.
- Gruber, K., Fleetwood, T., & Herring, M. (Jul 2001). In-Home Continuing Care Services for Substance-Affected Families: The Bridges Program. Social Work, 46(3).
- Havas, E., & Bonnar, D. (Apr-Jun 1999). Therapy with Adolescents and Families: The Limits of Parenting. American Journal of Family Therapy, 27(2).
- Hoder, R. (10/25/2013). Give Parents a Break: Making the Case for Supervised Teen Drinking. Time.com, 1.
- "How to Spot Drug and Alcohol Use in Teens: Guide for Parents." (May 2013). Brown University Child & Adolescent Behavior Letter, Supplement, 29, 1-2.
- Karroll, B., & Poertner, J. (Mar/Apr 2002). Caseworkers’’, and Substance Abuse Counselors’ Indicators of Family Reunification with Substance-Affected Parents. Child Welfare, 81(2).
- Klanecky, A. K., Ruhnke, E. J., & Meyer, R. M. (May 2019). The interaction of child/adolescent trauma exposure, emotion regulation difficulties, and induced negative mood on tension reduction alcohol expectancies. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 33(3), 274-284.
- Liddle, H. (Dec 1999). Theory Development in a Family-based Therapy for Adolescent Drug Abuse. Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, 80(4).
- Moore, J., & Finkelstein, N. (Mar/Apr 2001). Parenting Services for Families Affected by Substance Abuse. Child Welfare, 80(2).
- Morgan, O. (Apr 1998). Addiction, Family Treatment, and Healing Resources: An Interview with David Berenson. Journal of Addictions & Offender Counseling, 18(2).
- Mueser, K. T., Glynn, S. M., Cather, C., Zarate, R., Fox, L., Feldman, J., Wolfe, R., Clark, R. E. (October 2009). Family Intervention for Co-Occurring Substance Use and Severe Psychiatric Disorders: Participant Characteristics and Correlates of Initial Engagement and More Extended Exposure in A Randomized Controlled Trial. Addictive Behaviors, 34(10), 867.
- Nakken, C.(2000). Reclaim Your Family From Addiction: How Couples and Families Recover Love and Meaning. Hazelden: Minnesota.
-Nutt, D. (Jun 2013). Addiction: Lifestyle Choice or Medical Diagnosis? Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, 19(3), 493-496.
- "Family Intervention Program Getting Addicts into Treatment; Outcomes & Accountability Alert." (Jan 2000). Outcomes & Accountability Alert, 5(1).
- Polcin, D. L. (October 2009). Who Receives Confrontation in Recovery Houses and When is It Experienced as Supportive? Addiction Research & Theory, 17(5), 504.
-Gonzalez, R., Jennifer M., Connell, N. M., Businelle, M. S., Jennings, W. G., & Chartier, K. G. (2014). Characteristics of Adults Involved in Alcohol-Related Intimate Partner Violence: Results from A Nationally Representative Sample. BMC Public Health, 14(1), 193-206.
- Richardson, C. (2002). Stand Up for Your Life. The Free Press: New York.
- Russo, F. (11/15/2013). Is Your Teen a Night Owl? That Could Explain His Poor Grades. Time.com, 1.
- Scott-Lennox, J., Rose, R., Bohlig, A., & Lennox, R. (Nov 2000). The Impact of Women’s Family Status on Completion of Substance Abuse Treatment. Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research, 27(4).
- Smith, J. (5/15/2014). Got Teens? The Doctor Moms' Guide to Sexuality, Social Media and Other Adolescent Realities. Library Journal, 139(9), 61.
- Springer, D., & Orsbon, S. (Aug 2002). Families Helping Families: Implementing a Multifamily Therapy Group with Substance-Abusing Adolescents. Health & Social Work, 27(3).
- Stanger, C., Scherer, E. A., Babbin, S. F., Ryan, S. R., & Budney, A. J. (Jun 2017). Abstinence based incentives plus parent training for adolescent alcohol and other substance misuse. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 31(4), 385-392.
- Terry-McElrath, Yvonne M., Stern, Stephanie A., & Patrick, Megan E. (Nov 2017). Do alcohol use reasons and contexts differentiate adolescent high-intensity drinking? Data from U.S. high school seniors, 2005–2016. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 31(7), 775-785.
- Trimpey, J. (1996). Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction. Pocket Books/Simon & Schuster: New York.
- Véronneau, M/, Dishion, T. J., Connell, A. M., & Kavanagh, K. (Jun 2016). A randomized, controlled trial of the family check-up model in public secondary schools: Examining links between parent engagement and substance use progressions from early adolescence to adulthood. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 84(6), 526-543.
- Werner, M., Joffe, A., & Graham, A. (May 1999). Screening, Early Identification, and Office-based Intervention with Children and Youth Living in Substance-abusing Families. Pediatrics, 103(5).