|Healthcare Training Institute - Quality Education since 1979CE for Psychologist, Social Worker, Counselor, & MFT!!
Peer-Reviewed Journal Article References:
Altvater, R. A., Singer, R. R., & Gil, E. (2017). Part 1: Modern trends in the playroom—preferences and interactions with tradition and innovation. International Journal of Play Therapy, 26(4), 239–249.
Bhatia, A., & Gelso, C. J. (2017). The termination phase: Therapists’ perspective on the therapeutic relationship and outcome. Psychotherapy, 54(1), 76–87.
Brodsky, W., & Briggs, C. A. (2016). Review of Handbook of neurologic music therapy [Review of the book Handbook of neurologic music therapy, by M. H. Thaut & V. Hoemberg, Eds.]. Psychomusicology: Music, Mind, and Brain, 26(1), 87–92.
Cochran, J. L., & Cochran, N. H. (2017). Effects of child-centered play therapy for students with highly-disruptive behavior in high-poverty schools. International Journal of Play Therapy, 26(2), 59–72.
Donald, E. J., Culbreth, J. R., & Carter, A. W. (2015). Play therapy supervision: A review of the literature. International Journal of Play Therapy, 24(2), 59–77.
D'Souza, A. A., & Wiseheart, M. (2018). Cognitive effects of music and dance training in children. Archives of Scientific Psychology, 6(1), 178–192.
Gavin, S., Meany-Walen, K. K., Murray, M., Christians, A., Barrett, M., & Kottman, T. (2020). Play therapists’ attitudes toward using technology in the playroom. International Journal of Play Therapy, 29(1), 1–8.
Glazer, H. R., & Stein, D. (2015). Mindfulness and the play-therapist supervisor: A study in transformative learning. International Journal of Play Therapy, 24(1), 41–53.
Goicoechea, J., & Fitzpatrick, T. (2019). To know or not to know: Empathic use of client background information in child-centered play therapy. International Journal of Play Therapy, 28(1), 22–33.
Halfon, S., Yılmaz, M., & Çavdar, A. (2019). Mentalization, session-to-session negative emotion expression, symbolic play, and affect regulation in psychodynamic child psychotherapy. Psychotherapy, 56(4), 555–567.
Hudspeth, E. F. (2015). An introduction to clinical supervision in play therapy: Research, practice, and application. International Journal of Play Therapy, 24(2), 55–58.
Kaldo, V., Ramnerö, J., & Jernelöv, S. (2015). Involving clients in treatment methods: A neglected interaction in the therapeutic relationship. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 83(6), 1136–1141.
Meany-Walen, K. K., Cobie-Nuss, A., Eittreim, E., Teeling, S., Wilson, S., & Xander, C. (2018). Play therapists’ perceptions of wellness and self-care practices. International Journal of Play Therapy, 27(3), 176–186.
"Nature-based child-centered group play therapy and behavioral concerns: A single-case design": Correction to Swank et al. (2017) (2017). International Journal of Play Therapy, 26(2), 123.
Perryman, K. L., Moss, R., & Cochran, K. (2015). Child-centered expressive arts and play therapy: School groups for at-risk adolescent girls. International Journal of Play Therapy, 24(4), 205–220.
Purswell, K. E., & Stulmaker, H. L. (2015). Expressive arts in supervision: Choosing developmentally appropriate interventions. International Journal of Play Therapy, 24(2), 103–117.
Ritzi, R. M., Ray, D. C., & Schumann, B. R. (2017). Intensive short-term child-centered play therapy and externalizing behaviors in children. International Journal of Play Therapy, 26(1), 33–46.
Robinson, A., Simpson, C., & Hott, B. L. (2017). The effects of child-centered play therapy on the behavioral performance of three first grade students with ADHD. International Journal of Play Therapy, 26(2), 73–83.
Schottelkorb, A. A., Swan, K. L., & Ogawa, Y. (2015). Parent consultation in child-centered play therapy: A model for research and practice. International Journal of Play Therapy, 24(4), 221–233.
Siu, A. F. Y. (2021). Does age make a difference when incorporating music as a rhythmic-mediated component in a theraplay-based program to facilitate attunement of preschool children with social impairment? International Journal of Play Therapy, 30(2), 136–145.
Stauffer, S. D. (2019). Ethical use of drawings in play therapy: Considerations for assessment, practice, and supervision. International Journal of Play Therapy, 28(4), 183–194.
Stewart, A. L., Field, T. A., & Echterling, L. G. (2016). Neuroscience and the magic of play therapy. International Journal of Play Therapy, 25(1), 4–13.
Stulmaker, H. L., Lertora, I., & Garza, Y. (2015). Facilitating empathic perspective taking in beginning child-centered play therapists: The role of supervision. International Journal of Play Therapy, 24(4), 177–189.
Stutey, D. M., & Wubbolding, R. E. (2018). Reality play therapy: A case example. International Journal of Play Therapy, 27(1), 1–13.
Swank, J. M., & Smith-Adcock, S. (2018). On-task behavior of children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: Examining treatment effectiveness of play therapy interventions. International Journal of Play Therapy, 27(4), 187–197.
Turner, R., Schoeneberg, C., Ray, D., & Lin, Y.-W. (2020). Establishing play therapy competencies: A Delphi study. International Journal of Play Therapy, 29(4), 177–190.
Vidair, H. B., Feyijinmi, G. O., & Feindler, E. L. (2017). Termination in cognitive–behavioral therapy with children, adolescents, and parents. Psychotherapy, 54(1), 15–21.
Winburn, A., Perepiczka, M., Frankum, J., & Neal, S. (2020). Play therapists’ empathy levels as a predictor of self-perceived advocacy competency. International Journal of Play Therapy, 29(3), 144–154.
- Booth, Phyllis & Ann Jernberg, Theraplay: Helping Parents and Children
Build Better Relationships Through Attachment-Based Play, Jossey-Bass Publishers,
San Francisco: 1999.
- Cangelosi, Donna & Charles Schaefer, Play Therapy
Techniques, Jason Aronson Inc.: 1993.
- Carol, Skinner, Empowering Parents through Filial Therapy. PUB DATE 1997-00-00 NOTE 8p.; Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Psychological Association (105th, Chicago, IL, August 15-19, 1997).
- Curry, Nancy A., Can Coloring Mandalas Reduce Anxiety?, Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 2005, 22(2), pp. 81-85.
- Davis, Eric S.; Pereira, Jennifer K. Combining Reality Therapy and Play Therapy in work with Childrean. International Journal of Choice Theory & Reality Therapy. 2013, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p78-86.
- Ferluga, ED, Archer, KR, Sathe NA, Krishnaswami S, Klint A, Lindegren ML, McPheeters ML. Interventions for Feeding and Nutrition in Cerebral Palsy. Comparative Effectiveness Review No. 94. (Prepared by the Vanderbilt Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. 290-2007-10065-I) AHRQ Publication No. 13-EHC015-EF. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. March 2013.
- Garza, Yvonne; Kinsworthy, Sarah; Bennett, Mary Morrison. Supervision in Group Play Therapy: A Skills Checklist. Journal of Individual Psychology. Spring2014, Vol. 70 Issue 1, p31-44.
- Ginsberg, B. G.,Training parents as therapeutic agents with foster/adoptive children using the filial approach., In Shaeffer C. E.,; Breitmeister, J. E., Handbook of parent training, Parents as co-therapists for children’s behavior problems, 442-478, 1989.
- Homeyer, Linda, Play Therapy Practice, Issues, and Trends. Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois. 2008.
- Kasari, C., Chang, Y. C., & Patterson, S. (2013). Pretending to Play or Playing to Pretend: The Case of Autism. American journal of play, 6(1), 124–135.
- Kool, R., & Lawver, T. (2010). Play therapy: considerations and applications for the practitioner. Psychiatry (Edgmont (Pa. : Township)), 7(10), 19–24.
- Jernberg, Ann, Theraplay: A New
Treatment Using Structured Play for Problem Children and Their Families, Jossey-Bass
Publishers, San Francisco: 1979.
- Landreth, Garry L.; Ray, Dee C.; Bratton, Sue C., Play therapy in elementary schools, Psychology in the Schools, March 2009, Vol. 46, Issue 3, p 281-290.
- Lieneman, C. C., Brabson, L. A., Highlander, A., Wallace, N. M., & McNeil, C. B. (2017). Parent-Child Interaction Therapy: current perspectives. Psychology research and behavior management, 10, 239–256. doi:10.2147/PRBM.S91200.
- Lee, Joohun; Jung , Haehyun. User Interface of Interactive Media Art Works using Five senses as Play Therapy. International Journal of Bio-Science & Bio-Technology. 2014, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p137-144.
- Mantzios, M., & Giannou, K. (2018). When Did Coloring Books Become Mindful? Exploring the Effectiveness of a Novel Method of Mindfulness-Guided Instructions for Coloring Books to Increase Mindfulness and Decrease Anxiety. Frontiers in psychology, 9, 56. doi:10.3389/fpsyg.2018.00056.
- O'Connor, Kevin & Charles Schaefer,
Handbook of Play Therapy, John Wiley & Sons, New York: 1983.
- Porter, Maggie L.; Hernandez-Reif, Maria; Jessee, Peggy, Play therapy: a review, Early Child Development & Care, Dec 2009, Vol. 179, Issue 8, p 1025- 1041
-Portrie-Bethke, Torey L.; Hill, Nicole R.; Bethke, Jerid G., Strength-Based Mental Health Counseling for Children with ADHD: An Integrative Model of Adventure-Based Counseling and Adlerian Play Therapy, Journal of Mental Health Counseling, Oct 2009, Vol. 31, Issue 4, p 323-348.
- Rucinska, Z., & Reijmers, E. (2015). Enactive account of pretend play and its application to therapy. Frontiers in psychology, 6, 175. doi:10.3389/fpsyg.2015.00175.
- Russ, Sandra W., Primary Process Thinking, Divergent Thinking, and Coping in Children., Journal of Personality Assessment 52:539–48.,1988.
Charles, The Therapeutic Use of Child's Play, Jason Aronson Inc., New York: 1979.
- Shen, Yih-Jiun, ;Edwin L. Herr., Perceptions of Play Therapy in Taiwan: The Voices of School Counselors and Counselor Educators., International Journal for the Advancement of Counseling 25:27–41, 2003.
Timberlake, Elizabeth & Marika Cutler, Developmental Play Therapy in Clinical
Social Work, Allyn & Bacon, Needham Heights: 2001.
- Trice-Black, Shannon; Bailey, Carrie Lynn; Riechel, Morgan E. Kiper. Play Therapy in School Counseling. Professional School Counseling. Jun2013, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p303-312.
- Wehrman, Joseph D.; Field, Julaine E. Play-Based Activities in Family Counseling. American Journal of Family Therapy. Jul-Sep2013, Vol. 41 Issue 4, p341-352.